Pages

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Software Review - HGTV Software

HGTV Home Design and Remodeling Suite
&
HGTV Home and Landscape Platinum Suite

I used both of the softwares together. They both use the same format and you can use the product of one as the input to the other and vice versa.

This software is for creating a new living space; adding a fireplace; making your home energy efficient with new appliances; replacing countertops, cabinetry and fixtures; enhancing any room in your house with a brand new look; and adding decks, fountains, patios and gardens. You can import digital photos of your home's exterior or interior and instantly change paint colors. You can even design your dream home from scratch.

I personally found the software hard to use. I read the entire manual (for both software) and still had a very hard time doing anything with it. I had my cousin, who is an architect, create my house in the software so I could test some upgrades, change colors, change appliances, etc. I was able to do this in the house and was satisfied with the results.

I did like the Professional Tips from HGTV's Video Library and the printed user guide to get you started and keep your creativity flowing. A variety of topics are included, all to ensure your home improvement project turns out just as you want. Subjects include:
  • Interior Paint Finishings
  • Improving Your Kitchen
  • Artistic Backsplashes
  • Framing Windows
  • Eco-Friendly Carpets
  • Mold Prevention Methods and more
My recommendation is to be patient, experiment, experiment, experiment. There are probably easier packages around but I will keep using this one as I have my house already in it. If you do not have some CAD experience, this product might be a little too hard for you. You will have to play with it until you gain some mastery with it.