Pages

Friday, September 18, 2009

Review: How to Roast a Lamb by Michael Psilakis

When I saw this book, I was impressed by its look. Big and Pretty. I love greek food so I though that the best way to review this book was to cook a meal from it. I opened the pages randomly and selected my dishes. I am not a great cook but can follow instructions very well. I crossed my fingers and wished for the best.

The first dish that I tried was on page 55, Roasted Scallops with Cauliflower, Tart Dried Cherries & Capers in Brown Butter Sauce. WOW, WOW, WOW... It turned out great!

The second dish was on page 104, Tomato & String Bean Salad. My husband loved it. He wants me to keep doing this one at least once a week!

The third dish was on page 173, Stuffed Peppers with Beef and Rice. I did peppers and tomatoes (as suggested by the author). The flavors were clean and yummy.

One warning: the dishes are not that simple. You have to read and understand each recipe before trying them. Also, make sure you have all the ingredients listed. I did not try any substitutions but Chef Psilakis has some suggestions.

Another highlight of this cookbook are his stories of him and his family. He has old family pictures and stories that even if you do not cook they make this a good book to buy.

I highly recommend this book to anyone that likes greek food.

Thanks to Hachette for the opportunity to review this book