Why experts* keep failing us--and how to know when not to trust them *Scientists, finance wizards, doctors, relationship gurus, celebrity CEOs, high-powered consultants, health officials and more
Our investments are devastated, obesity is epidemic, test scores are in decline, blue-chip companies circle the drain, and popular medications turn out to be ineffective and even dangerous. What happened? Didn't we listen to the scientists, economists and other experts who promised us that if we followed their advice all would be well?
Actually, those experts are a big reason we're in this mess. And, according to acclaimed business and science writer David H. Freedman, such expert counsel usually turns out to be wrong--often wildly so. Wrong reveals the dangerously distorted ways experts come up with their advice, and why the most heavily flawed conclusions end up getting the most attention-all the more so in the online era. But there's hope: Wrong spells out the means by which every individual and organization can do a better job of unearthing the crucial bits of right within a vast avalanche of misleading pronouncements.
About the Author
David H. Freedman is a contributing editor and columnist at Inc. magazine. He is a contributor to Newsweek, and has written on science, technology, and business for The Atlantic Monthly, New York Times, Science, The Harvard Business Review, Wired, and many other publications. He was the co-author of A Perfect Mess (Little, Brown, 2006). Freedman lives in Massachusetts.
Thanks to Hachette for this giveaway.
- One entry only - Please comment on why you want this book
- Be sure to leave your e-mail if you don't have a blogger ID. Bloggers - you must have a public profile and listed e-mail to find you
- Only residents of the US and Canada may enter
- Please NO PO Boxes!!!
- Random number generator will be used - 3 copies to give away
- The drawing will last till July 10
- I will post the winners here on July 11
- Winners have 48 hours to reply or a new winner will be selected
- Extra entry - Become a follower